I can’t say that I’ve ever previously been interested in preparing or eating a Caprese salad. It has always been one of those things for me that look nice, but it seems too simple to be classified as delicious. Boy was I wrong! You see, here’s how it went… The mister called me earlier in the day to discuss dinner plans. Since I hadn’t thought that far ahead yet, he suggested that he could bbq. Its been really hot here in CA so I knew that I wanted to avoid turning on the oven at any cost. Remembering that I had some tomatoes, and smoked mozzarella left over from other dishes I made earlier in the week, a caprese salad just made sense! I’m so glad that I overcame the doubts I had about the Caprese salad, maybe it’ll teach me to think twice before I snub recipes. 🙂
adapted from bon appetit magazines recipe for: ultimate caprese salad
kitchen tunes: sweet caroline/ neil diamond
3 large tomatoes on the vine
8 oz. smoked mozzarella (regular would work, but the smoked makes this salad even better!)
salt (I used pink himalayan salt)
fresh ground pepper
premium olive oil
1/2 C of fresh whole basil leaves
one loaf of french bread (to be served on the side)
- wash and slice tomatoes into thin rounds
- Arrange the tomato slices on a plate and sprinkle with salt.
- Slice the mozzarella into 12-13 pieces
- lay the mozzarella slices out on the cutting board and sprinkle those with salt as well.
- Arrange the mozzarella slices between the tomato slices and generously drizzle with a premium olive oil and season with pepper.
- Allow to sit for 30 minutes. This will allow the flavors to marry and juices to escape.
- After 30 minutes arrange with basil leaves.
- Serve with bread