In an attempt to use up what I had sitting around in my cupboards and my freezer, I got a little creative for Sunday dinner this week and created this recipe of “Salmon & Sun Dried Tomato Risotto”. In a nutshell, this was my thought process…”Well this goes with this, and that goes with that, and I have a little bit of those…so….yea, it should totally work!?” And guess what???? IT TOTALLY WORKED! Even the 12 year old, who can be even more picky of an eater than the 6 year old liked it!
A DG ORIGINAL
kitchen tunes: E.I. By Nelly
2 salmon fillets, blackened and flaked
2 TBSP unsalted butter
5 C Chicken Broth
1 small onion, chopped
1 1/2 C Arborrio rice
3/4 C White cooking wine
3 oz. sun dried tomatoes, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
zest of 1 lemon
2 TBSP Italian Flat Leaf Parsley, chopped
- In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken broth to a simmer.
- In a heavy sauce pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until softened, about 8 minutes.
- Add the rice and coat with the butter, allow to cook for just a minute or so
- Add the wine and simmer until the wine has almost completely evaporated, about one minute
- Add 1/2 cup of the chicken broth and stir until it is almost completely absorbed.
- Continue to add the broth in, in 1/2 C increments while stirring continuously and waiting to add each additional increment in until the previous has almost absorbed.
- When adding in the last increment, also add in the sun dried tomatoes, salmon and salt & pepper
- Once the last of the liquid has absorbed, remove from heat and stir in the parm cheese, lemon zest and chopped parsley.