I don’t love being interrupted while running on the treadmill at 5:00 am on a Monday morning. And I absolutely don’t love being interrupted while running on the treadmill at 5:00 am on a Monday morning to be told that I was successful at setting the timer on the coffee pot, however, I was UNsuccessful in placing the carafe below the drip. In fact, I didn’t even place the carafe anywhere near the drip! It sat somewhere in the vicinity of the kitchen sink. Oh, Mondaze!
After that mess I was determined to “get it togetha” and end my day with a bang. And that is exactly what I did with the help of this Vegetable & Shrimp Hot & Sour Soup! Yum!
kitchen tunes: confident/justin bieber ft. chance the rapper
3 TBSP sesame oil
1 onion, sliced thin
1 TBSP grated ginger
1 jalapeno, minced
6 baby bok choy chopped (white parts separated from the green)
1 C carrot, diced
8 C chicken broth
1/2 C low sodium soy sauce
1/3 C rice vinegar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 C water
1/4 C cornstarch
2 tsp olive oil
1 zucchini, diced
8 oz. cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 C jaune flamme tomatoes
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 lb shrimp, peeled & deveined
- In a large soup pot, heat the sesame oil over medium heat. Saute the onion, ginger and jalapeno for a few minutes.
- Add in the white parts of the bok choy and the carrots and continue to cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock to the pot and bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pan, heat the olive oil. Saute the green parts of the bok choy, zucchini, mushroom, tomatoes, and bell pepper until they begin to soften.
- While the soup is simmering and the vegetables are sautéing, mix together the soy sauce, vinegar, salt, pepper, water and cornstarch.
- When ready, add the sautéed vegetables to the broth pot and continue to simmer for 5-8 minutes.
- Stir in the soy sauce/vinegar mix
- Lastly, add in the shrimp and simmer 2-3 minutes or until the shrimp turn pink